For my Cambridge project, we are re-doing the built-in bookcases in the study. What was wrong about them was just about everything: detailing, scale, proportion, construction, the width of the shelves, the width of the styles (the vertical parts). The color was OK. But that's about it. The crown molding is plaster is staying.
So my builder, the client and I re-designed them to better fit the space. Here my builder is holding up more appropriately sized molding. We didn't end up choosing this one though. We were also hoping to pull the bookcase all the way to the corner, but there's plumbing and electrical chase in there. We cut a hole in the wall to see.
To make our decisions, we looked at the home's doors and trim. We chose a door height for the cabinet based on the wainscot in the hall and the height of the panels on the doors.
When you have recessed panels in the rest of the home, it's a good idea to keep details consistent, so we chose recessed panels on the new built-ins to make the house flow. The old bookcases had flat panels on the side, but we gave the new ones a recessed side panels, as well. Looks much more finished this way.
Tomorrow I pick up a finish sample for approval. The electrical was done today — we needed some CAT 5, speakers and outlets put in. Bookcases should go in next week. Cannot wait!!